Last Thanksgiving, I gave Ina Garten's Cranberry Orange Scone recipe a try and the family LOVED them. Since yesterday was the first day of Spring I decided switch out the fall flavors with some fresh lemon zest and sweet blueberries from the Farmer's Market. Classic flavor combo in my opinion. You could switch out the fruit in this recipe with a variety of ingredients. You could use something sweet like strawberries or chocolate morsels. Or something crunchy like slivered almonds or pecans. The options are endless!
Adapted from Ina Garten's Cranberry Orange Scones Recipe
Lemon Blueberry Scones
Makes 8 Scones
What you'll need...
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter, diced
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup cold heavy cream
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
extra heavy cream for brushing top of scones
extra sugar for sprinkling top of scones
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Add cold butter and turn mixer on at the lowest speed for about 1 minute or until the butter forms into pea sized bits.
3) Combine eggs and heavy cream and slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture with the mixer on low speed. Mix until JUST blended. *tip over blending will turn your scones into little tough hockey pucks.. eh? With mixer off, carefully fold in blueberries using a rubber spatula.
4) Dump dough onto a well floured clean surface and form it into a square. Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 3/4 inch thick square. Cut square into quarters (4 pieces). Then cut again into eighths making triangles (8 scones total).
5) Brush the tops of scones with heavy cream using a basting brush, sprinkle tops with sugar and bake for 20 minutes until tops are browned and the insides are fully baked.
Click here for printable recipe
We are off to California Adventure today with Grammy and Papa. Weeeeeeeeee! Have a great weekend :)